All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe chapters in this book show the important role that political documentary cinema has played in Latin America since the 1950s. Political documentary cinema in Latin America has a long history of tracing social injustice and suffering, depicting political unrest, intervening in periods of crisis and upheaval, and reflecting upon questions about ideology, cultural identity, gecide and traumatic memory. This collection bears witness to the region's film culture's diversity, discussing documentaries about workers' strikes, riots, and military coups against elected governments; crime, poverty, homelessness, prostitution, children's work, and violence against women; urban development, progress, (under)development, capitalism, and neoliberalism; exile, diaspora and border cultures; trauma and (post)memory. The chapters focus on documentaries made in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Cuba, Mexico, and Venezuela, as well as on the work of Lati and diasporic Latin American political documentarians. The contributors to the anthology reflect the cultural and linguistic diversity of current Latin American film scholarship, with some writing in Spanish and Portuguese from Argentina and Brazil (with their original works especially translated), and others writing in English from Australia, Europe, and the USA. This book was originally published as a special issue of Social Identities.
- Author BiographyAntonio Traverso is Senior Lecturer in Film Studies, Curtin University, Australia. He is the co-editor of 'Political Documentary Cinema in the Southern Cone' (2013, special issue of Latin American Perspectives), Interrogating Trauma (2011), and Living Through Terror (2011). Kristi M. Wilson is an Assistant Professor of Rhetoric and Composition and Affiliate Assistant Professor of Humanities at Soka University of America, USA. She is the co-editor of Italian Neorealism and Global Cinema (2007) and Film and Genocide (2012).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication05/06/2014
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note26 black & white tables
- Weight612 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byAntonio Traverso,Kristi M. Wilson
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.