All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
About this product
- DescriptionIn 2013 and in 2014 respectively, the South African Association of Political Studies (SAAPS) and Politikon (the South African Journal of Political Studies) celebrate their 40th anniversary. Also, in April 2014 South Africa celebrates twenty years since the advent of the post-Apartheid democracy, and the birth of the 'rainbow nation'. This book provides a timely account of the birth and evolution of South African politics over the past four decades, but also of the study of Political Science and International Relations in this country. Fourteen political scientists contribute chapters to this volume, situating the study of politics within its global context and recounting the development of politics as a field of study at South African universities. The fourteen contributions evaluate the state of the discipline(s) and suggest conclusions that are surprising and in many instances unsettling, t only with regards to what and how politics is taught, but also how its study has variously gained and lost pertinence for South Africans' understanding of their own polity as well as its place in the world. The implications are uncomfortable, and pose interesting challenges for South African scholarship, pedagogy and national self-reflection. This book was published as a special issue of Politikon.
- Author BiographyPeter Vale is Professor of Humanities, University of Johannesburg, and Nelson Mandela Professor of Politics Emeritus, Rhodes University. Pieter Fourie is the Editor of Politikon, the South African Journal of Political Studies, and Associate Professor of Political Science, Stellenbosch University.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication23/06/2014
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white tables, figures
- Weight589 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byPeter Vale,Pieter Fourie
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.