All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGiven the catastrophic history of the 'short 20th century' (Hobsbawm), the crucial question facing the new millennium - all over the world - is that of the future social as well as political development. At the centre of our engagement with this question should lie reflections on participatory forms of democratisation in as many societies around the globe as possible, so as to make globalisation more than simply an ecomic theme. Such reflections - as the contributions in this book show - from this perspective would also examine the possible ways in which relations might be constituted within political socialisation, participation and education. These concepts are in turn to be explored in the substantive discussions of 'democracy' and 'democratisation' in relation to individuals as well as political systems. If educational policy is social policy, if a democratic society demands citizens who are educated and thus capable of political action, the themes 'Political Education' and 'Political Socialisation' need to be addressed anew, and this is equally important for a rethinking of the future of the 'political' more generally. The contributions to the book contribute to a challenging debate.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Heinz Suenker is professor of social and educational sciences at the University of Wuppertal/Germany, Russell Farnen is professor of political science at the University of Connecticut/USA, and Gyoergy Szell professor of sociology at the University of Osnabrueck/Germany.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/12/2003
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleArbeit - Technik - Organisation - Soziales / Work - Technology - Organization - Society
- Series Part/Volume Number23
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Note3 fig.
- Weight400 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byGyoergy Szell,Heinz Suenker,Russell Francis Farnen
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.