All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBringing together literary texts, political and household writings, and visual images, Politicizing Domesticity from Henrietta Maria to Milton's Eve traces how the language of the domestic became a powerful and contested tool of political propaganda in representations of Charles I and Henrietta Maria, Oliver and Elizabeth Cromwell, and Milton's Adam and Eve. The book reconstitutes a lively seventeenth-century discourse that ranges from van Dyck portraiture to political texts such as Eikon Basilike and Kings Cabinet Opened, to cookery books attributed to Henrietta Maria and Elizabeth Cromwell, to Milton's Paradise Lost. Extensive archival materials are drawn upon, including holograph letters, legal documents, little-kwn portraits and early readers' marginalia. Challenging previous binaries of public and private, political and domestic, Kppers demonstrates that the domestication of the royal family image is an important and largely unrecognized legacy of the English Revolution. The study will appeal to scholars of political and cultural history, literature, book history and women's studies.
- Author BiographyLaura Lunger Knoppers is Professor of English at Pennsylvania State University. She has published widely on seventeenth-century British literature, visual culture, politics and religion, particularly on the works of John Milton. Her books include Historicizing Milton: Spectacle, Power, and Poetry in Restoration England (1994) and Constructing Cromwell: Ceremony, Portrait, and Print, 1645-1661 (2000). She edited The 1671 Poems: Paradise Regain'd and Samson Agonistes for The Complete Works of John Milton (General Editors Thomas N. Corns and Gordon Campbell) and she is the editor of The Cambridge Companion to Early Modern Women's Writing (2009) and Puritanism and its Discontents (2003).
- Author(s)Laura Lunger Knoppers
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication29/09/2011
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note40 b/w illus.
- Weight520 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.