All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRevisionism has had a far-reaching impact upon the history of politics and religion in early Stuart Britain. The essays collected here were originally published in 2002, and set out to assess this impact and develop further some of the central themes highlighted in the work of the historian Conrad Russell, and address a series of themes arising out of recent debates on the causes of the English Civil War. The subject-matter ranges from high-political narrative to the study of rumour, gossip, and print culture. Topics covered include the character of Charles I's kingship, the place of Parliament in the political system, the divisive legacy of the English Reformation, and the problems posed by trying to unite England with Scotland and Ireland. The collection will interest readers concerned with the political and religious history, and also the literature, of early seventeenth-century Britain.
- Author BiographyThomas Cogswell is Professor of History at the University of California, Riverside. His publications include The Blessed Revolution (Cambridge University Press, 1989). Richard Cust is Senior Lecturer in Modern History, University of Birmingham. His publications include The Forced Loan and English Politics 1626-8 (Oxford University Press,1987). Peter Lake is Professor of History, Princeton University. He is the author of Moderate Puritans and the Elizabethan Church (1982), Anglicans and Puritans (1988, The Boxmakers Revenge (2001 and Protestants, Papists and Players in Reformation England (forthcoming from Yale University Press, 2002).
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication03/10/2002
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note2 b/w illus.
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byPeter Lake,Richard Cust,Thomas Cogswell
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.