All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores the relationship between women, the state and democratic politics in Ireland today. It highlights the conservatism of the political culture shared by all traditions on the island, and how this culture circumscribes women's political agency in Northern Ireland and Ireland. The book explores the opportunities and obstacles to women's participation and representation on each side of the border. The chapters take the view that public decision-making institutions and processes are subject to rules and practices that reinforce the gendered foundations of democratic politics. They document women's continuing quest for full participation and equal representation in these male-gendered arenas. The contributors focus on the marginalised experiences of women in modern politics in Ireland and detail their efforts to challenge the masculinized status quo. The book addresses the classical issues of citizenship, participation, representation and equal rights in a sustained analysis of the political systems on the island. It also deals with modern issues - multiculturalism, peace-building, the male-gendered legislature and the unequal nature of women's citizenship in constitutional, institutional and policy contexts. The book is completed by a comprehensive appendix of all women elected to political office on the island from 1918-2013. This book was published as a special issue of Irish Political Studies.
- Author BiographyFiona Buckley lectures in University College Cork. Her research focuses on the gendered nature of political institutions, in particular cabinet government, as well as gender and candidate selection reform in Ireland. Her research has informed policy-making in Ireland. Yvonne Galligan is professor of comparative politics at Queen's University Belfast. She has written widely on the gendered nature of democratic politics, focusing on issues of representation and legislative decision-making. Her research informs policy-making in Ireland, the UK and Europe.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication17/07/2014
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white line drawings, black & white tables, figures
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byFiona Buckley,Yvonne Galligan
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.