All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMaterial culture in Eastern Europe under state socialism is remembered as uniformly gray, shabby, and motous-the worst of postwar modernist architecture and design. Politics in Color and Concrete revisits this history by exploring domestic space in Hungary from the 1950s through the 1990s and reconstructs the multi-textured and politicized aesthetics of daily life through the objects, spaces, and colors that made up this lived environment. Krisztina Fehervary shows that contemporary standards of living and ideas about rmalcy have roots in late socialist consumer culture and are t merely products of postsocialist transitions or neoliberalism. This engaging study decenters conventional perspectives on consumer capitalism, home ownership, and citizenship in the new Europe.
- Author BiographyKrisztina Fehervary is Associate Professor of Anthropology at the University of Michigan.
- Author(s)Krisztina Fehervary
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication16/09/2013
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleNew Anthropologies of Europe
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note44 b&w illus.
- Weight567 g
- Width161 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.05New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.85Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.