All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume contains nineteen of the more important of Frank Walbank's essays on Polybius and is prefaced by a critical discussion of the main aspects of work done on that author. Several of these essays deal with specific historical problems for which Polybius is a major source. Five deal with Polybius as an historian and three with his attitude towards Rome; one of these raises the question of 'treason' in relation to Polybius and Josephus. Finally, two papers discuss Polybius' later fortunes - in England up to the time of John Dryden and in twentieth-century Italy in the work of Gaeta de Sanctis. Several of these essays originally appeared in journals and collections t always easily accessible, and all students of the ancient Mediterranean world will welcome their assembly within a single volume.
- Author BiographyFrank Walbank is Professor Emeritus of Ancient History of the University of Liverpool and Honorary Fellow of Peterhouse, Cambridge. He is the author of numerous books and articles on Polybius and Hellenistic history.
- Author(s)Frank W. Walbank
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication14/12/2006
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.