All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.17Trending at AU $52.09
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.34Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionThis excellent collection of over 200 photographs of Ponteland allows us a fascinating glimpse of people, places and events in and around Ponteland over the last 100 years or so. The basic layout of Ponteland, centred on the line of the 1830 turnpike to Scotland, has changed little with other changes in the community occurring subtly over the years: perhaps going unticed at the time. However, the alterations, demolitions and rebuilding become evident from this pictorial record. The most important aspect of a community is its people, all of whom play some part, whether large or small, in the history of that community. Those responsible for the Cottage Homes are recalled - providing accommodation for children away from the influences of life in the workhouse. 'Coffee Tommy' is remembered with affection as one of the area's more colourful characters. Suffering centuries of Border conflict at the hands of both the Scots and the English, it was, however, the distant conflicts of the Boer and world wars that in fact impact most upon the lives of Ponteland people. Many young men in the community served in these conflicts and are remembered here, along with those who worked hard to raise funds for the soldiers. The leisure time of Ponteland residents has been filled in a variety of ways, with clubs for cricket and football originating from the unlikely source of Miss Holt the choirmistress! Annual events range from agricultural and flower shows to the wheelbarrow race held each New Year Day. All of this and much more besides is brought to life through this superb pictorial journey in time, accompanied by an informed and interesting narrative.
- Author(s)John Turner
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/1999
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleArchive Photographs: Images of England
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note200ill.
- Weight300 g
- Width172 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.