All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPop art is one of the most pivotal movements in modern art. It challenged the conventional idea of fine art and recognised the pervasive nature of materialism and consumerism that had taken over 20th century society. This beautifully illustrated book explores Pop art's origins in modern European avant-garde movements such as Cubism and Dadaism, prior to its true beginnings in early 1950's London with the Independent Group and their fascination with American popular culture - leading to the name Pop . Guiding the reader through the work of some of the most well-kwn practitioners, such as Warhol and Lichtenstein, this compelling book also travels the world to examine how Pop art influenced artists as far afield as Italy, Spain, Finland, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. Key figures include Japan's Yayoi Kusama and Italy's Mimmo Rotella. POP! The World of Pop Art explains how - and why - this movement appealed to so many diverse artists on so many levels, including often overlooked female artists who were central to the Pop art scene. Finally, POP! considers the influence of Pop art on other genres, in particular as the precursor to post-modernism and contemporary forms of art. With 15 faithfully reproduced documents, including items from the studios of a number of artists, POP! The World of Pop Art gives a unique insight into this celebrated movement.
- Author BiographyJohn Finlay studied Art History and Theory at Essex University (1989-92) and received his MA (1993) and PhD from the Courtauld Institute of Art, London (1998). He is a historian of French history, specialising in twentieth-century modern art. He has contributed to international journals, including the Burlington Magazine and Apollo Magazine (both UK), with articles on topics including Picasso, Giacometti, Cubism and Surrealism. His previous book Picasso's World (2011) is published by Goodman Books (London) and Larousse (as Le Monde de Picasso). He lives and works in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Author(s)John Finlay
- PublisherCarlton Books Ltd
- Date of Publication10/03/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight1225 g
- Width251 mm
- Height289 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.