All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the late 1950s to the late 1960s the word Pop described art, film, photography and architectural design which engaged with the new realities of mass production and the mass media. Unlike books which present Pop art in isolation, this is a comprehensive survey of Pop in all its forms across America, Britain and Europe. In addition to the key artworks by Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Claes Oldenburg, Ed Ruscha, Richard Hamilton, Sigmar Polke, Martial Raysse and many others the book includes works of photography and avant-garde film, as well as what the critic Reyner Banham defined as Pop architecture, ranging from Alison and Peter Smithson's House of the Future to Archigram's Walking City and Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown's Learning from Las Vegas. Editor Mark Francis was former Founding Director of the Andy Warhol Museum and editor of 'Les Annees Pop' (Centre Georges Pompidou, 2001). Survey author Hal Foster is Professor of Art at Princeton University, author of The Return of the Real and editor of the bestselling The Anti-Aesthetic: Essays on Postmodern Culture and Recodings: Art, Spectacle, Cultural Politics.
- Author BiographyMark Francis is a London-based curator and writer. A director of Gagosian Gallery, he was formerly Chief Curator of the Andy Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh, and its Founding Director. In 2001 he directed and edited the catalogue for the exhibition 'Les Annees Pop', Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris. Hal Foster is Townsend Martin Professor of Art and Archaeology at Princeton University and a former Senior Editor of Art in America. He is the editor of The Anti-Aesthetic: Essays on Postmodern Culture (1983) and Recodings: Art, Spectacle, Cultural Politics (1985), and the author of Compulsive Beauty (1993) and The Return of the Real (1996).
- Author(s)Hal Foster
- PublisherPhaidon Press Ltd
- Date of Publication28/02/2010
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhaidon Press Ltd
- Content Note255 illustrations
- Weight1057 g
- Width250 mm
- Height290 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byMark Francis
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $19.99
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.85
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $17.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.