All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPoplar Memories is a vivid impression of Cockney London before and during the Second World War, set in a teeming, rundown docklands neighbourhood famous for being, well, one end of the Blackwall Tunnel. John Hector's spellbinding account of his early life in the 1920s and '30s conjures up a vanished era when simplicity and happiness went hand-in-hand. Halcyon days of 'talking pictures' and pavement buskers, Saturday night knees-ups round the pia, eel and pie stalls, chimneysweeps, 'boxers', Clarnico's toffees and Lloyd Loom furniture, and a little shop called Woolworth's selling 'thing over sixpence' - unless it's a shilling. All this was to disappear forever in the horrors of the Blitz. The author was disabled by infantile paralysis - yet he became School Captain and embarked on a successful career at 14, surviving extreme poverty, panel doctors, dockers' riots and Hitler's Luftwaffe with an unshakeable belief in the ordinary people of Poplar. 'Much has been written about the East End but if I was writing about Poplar in the early 1920s I would need John Hector's books.' Dorothy (Dolly) Scannell author of Mother Knew Best. 'John Hector is a fine writer. His vast kwledge of the years before the last war is very stalgic and beautifully written. Being of the same age and hailing from the same area, I can vouch for his accuracy.' Reg Varney, comedian, actor and author.
- Author BiographyJohnHectorwas and Eastender born and bred. He lived through the blitz, the poverty, and the hardship of the 1930s and '40s and recalls it here, warts-and-all, in his memoir.
- Author(s)John Hector
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2010
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Weight340 g
- Width170 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.