All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe book is a selection of essays from the author's work since the early 1980s. It presents an analysis of political and cultural trends based upon a series of case studies drawn from the North West of England, covering mainly the years between the Third Reform Act (1884) and the outbreak of the Second World War. The region was a heavily industrialized one, seen by many as in the vanguard of changes that gave rise to what is often referred to as 'modern' society. In politics the emergence in North West England of a new labour consciousness is plainly evident, but so too is the survival and adaptation of older political allegiances, tably popular Toryism. The region is also rewned in cultural terms for the emergence of modern sport, examined here in relation to both association football and cricket. Keenly aware of the general political, social and cultural developments in Britain and elsewhere during these years, the author is also alert to their impact in particular localities. The theme of locality has been a recurring one in the author's research, and the composition of this book reflects his changing approaches to it and to other, related issues of identity.
- Author BiographyJeffrey Hill is Emeritus Professor of Historical and Cultural Studies at De Montfort University, Leicester, where from 2001 until 2007 he was Director of the International Centre for Sport, History and Culture. He has previously worked at Nottingham Trent University, and has been a visiting professor at both the University of British Columbia and Columbus State University, Georgia, USA. His research has concentrated chiefly on the politics and leisure activities of working-class society in Britain during the late-nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
- Author(s)Jeffrey Hill
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication18/03/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleBritish Identities Since 1707
- Series Part/Volume Number6
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight390 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.