All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPopulism is a concept that is currently in vogue among political commentators and, more often than t, used pejoratively. The phemen of populism is typically seen as something adverse and, in the European context routinely related to xephobic politics. What populism exactly is and who its main representatives are, however, often remains unclear. This text has two main aims: to identify populist parties in 21st century Europe and to explain their electoral performance. It argues that populist parties should t be dismissed as dangerous pariahs out of hand but rather that their rise tells us something about the state of representative democracy. The study has a broad scope, including populist parties of various ideological kinds - thus moving beyond examples of the 'right' - and covering long-established Western European countries as well as post-communist countries in Central and Eastern Europe. It presents the results of an invative mixed-methods research project, combining a fuzzy set Qualitative Comparative Analysis (fsQCA) of populist parties in 31 European countries with three in-depth case studies of the Netherlands, Poland and the United Kingdom.
- Author BiographyStijn van Kessel is Lecturer in Politics at Loughborough University, UK, and was previously an Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung Postdoctoral Fellow at the Heinrich-Heine-Universitat Dusseldorf, Germany. He completed his doctoral research at the University of Sussex in 2011, and has published several book chapters and articles, including for leading publications such as Government and Opposition, Acta Politica and the Journal of Political Ideologies.
- Author(s)Stijn Van Kessel
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication10/02/2015
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight445 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.