All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith the demise of European socialist ecomies and the marketization of Asian communist countries, a new global capitalism has reshaped the configuration of the world ecomy, with speed a determining factor to all transactions of information, finance, goods and services and people. Sea-ports that were significant for a slower but less global ecomy have been undergoing transformation to stay ecomically and culturally relevant. Some manage to reinvent themselves as tourist cities, some face decline if they do t manage to transform. This volume looks at a number of port cities in Asia and Europe that face this pressure. With contributions considering history, contemporary developments, contacts between ports, the representation of ports and the relations between port cities and their hinterlands. This comparative study identifies many parallels between local histories and developments in the Asian and European port cities, as well as new opportunities for sharing experiences and learning from the developments and decisions in similar situations in other port cities.
- Author BiographyArndt Graf is Adjunct Professor of Austronesian Studies at the University of Hamburg. Chua Beng Huat is Leader of the Cultural Studies Research Cluster, Asia Research Institute and Professor in the Department of Sociology, National University of Singapore.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/05/2012
- SubjectBusiness, Accounting & Vocational: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in the Modern History of Asia
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note26 black & white illustrations, 15 black & white tables, 13 black & white halftones, 13 black & white line drawings
- Weight362 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edited byArndt Graf,Chua Beng Huat
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.