All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPortobello lies on the bank of the Grand Canal, stretching from South Richmond Street to Clanbrassil Street and the South Circular Road and including some of the adjacent roads and streets. It is one of the country's most well-kwn suburbs, and has long been a hub for artistic and cultural Dublin. The list of luminaries associated with Portobello is quiet extraordinary. It includes some of the great names of Irish letters, including George Bernard Shaw, James Joyce and Brendan Behan; some of Ireland's best-kwn actors, artists, directors, sculptors and painters, among them Barry Fitzgerald and Jack B.Yeats. And t forgetting some of the country's most prominent politicians and presidents. In this book, Maurice Curtis, takes the reader on a visual tour of Portobello through the decades, recounting both the familiar and the events and places that have faded over time, revealing many fascinating details, including the fact that Dublin's Portobello was named after an area on the East Coast of Panama! This, and much more, is captured in a timeless volume, which pays fitting tribute to this well-loved part of the city.
- Author BiographyMaurice Curtisis an author and historian, and long time resident of Dublin. This is his third book with The History Press, following on from Rathmines.
- Author(s)Maurice Curtis
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/03/2012
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight299 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.