All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionPortrait Miniatures from the Merchistion Collection is the fifth in a series of titles which examines the portrait miniature. This collection, which has never been on public display, was assembled on the London art market during the 1970s and 1980s. Scottish miniaturists from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries are particularly well represented with fine works by Scouler, Bogle, and Skirving and Sir William Charles Ross. Of outstanding interest is Nicholas Hilliard's matching pair of tiny lockets of Queen Elizabeth and her admirer Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester. Stephen Lloyd's essay discusses the formation of the collection and the impact of the invention of photography on the art of miniature painting. It also explores the social history of the miniature. Twenty of the key works are illustrated in colour, with extended captions, and a complete list of the collection is also included.
- Author(s)Stephen Lloyd
- PublisherNational Galleries of Scotland
- Date of Publication01/09/2005
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Galleries of Scotland
- Content Note20 col., 55 b.&w.
- Weight204 g
- Width154 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.