All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA unique overview of Portuguese oceanic expansion between 1400 and 1800, the essays in this volume treat a wide range of subjects - ecomy and society, politics and institutions, cultural configurations and comparative dimensions - and radically update data and interpretations on the ecomic and financial trends of the Portuguese Empire. Interregional networks are analysed in a substantial way. Patterns of settlement, political configurations, ecclesiastical structures, and local powers are put in global context. Language and literature, the arts, and science and techlogy are revisited with refreshing and invative approaches. The interaction between Portuguese and local people is studied in different contexts, while the entire imperial and colonial culture of the Portuguese world is looked at synthetically for the first time. In short, this book provides a broad understanding of the Portuguese Empire in its first four centuries as a factor in world history and as a major component of European expansion.
- Author BiographyFrancisco Bethencourt is Charles Boxer Professor, King's College, University of London. He is the author of O Imaginario da Magia and L'inquisition ... l'epoque moderne: Espagne, Portugal, Italie, XVe-XIXe siecles, and the editor of Historia da Expansao Portuguesa (with Kirti Chadhuri) and A Memoria da Nacao (with Diogo Ramda Curto). He has been Director of the National Library of Portugal and the Gulbenkian Foundation Cultural Center in Paris. Diogo Ramada Curto is Vasco da Gama Professor, European University Institute, Florence. He is the author of O Discurso Politico em Portugal, and the editor of The Jesuits as Cultural Intermediaries, La Cartografia Europea tra Primo Rinascimento e fine dell'Illuminismo (with Angelo Cattaneo), O Tempo de Vasco da Gama and A Memoria da Nacao (with Francisco Bethencourt). He has been a Lecturer, Reader, and Professor at Universidade Nova de Lisboa, and a Visiting Professor at Yale and Brown Universities.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2007
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note6 tables
- Weight990 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Edited byCurto Diogo Ramada,Francisco Bethencourt
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.82Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.