All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith Possible Worlds of Fiction and History, Lubomir Dole el reexamines the claim-made first by Roland Barthes and then popularized by Hayden White-that there is fundamental distinction between fiction and history. Dole el rejects this assertion and demonstrates how literary and discourse theory can help the historian to restate the difference between fiction and history. He challenges scholars to reassess the postmodern viewpoint by reintroducing the idea of possible worlds. Possible-worlds semantics reveals that possible worlds of fiction and possible worlds of history differ in their origins, cultural functions, and structural and semantic features. Dole el's book is the first systematic application of this idea to the theory and philosophy of history. Possible Worlds of Fiction and History is the crowning work of one of literary theory's most engaged thinkers.
- Author BiographyLubomir Dole el is professor emeritus of comparative literature at the University of Toronto and author of Heterocosmica: Fiction and Possible Worlds, also published by Johns Hopkins.
- Author(s)Lubomir Dolezel
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Weight385 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 17
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $64.22Trending at AU $77.83
- AU $21.86Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $22.16Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $19.49
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.