All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPost-Materialist Religion discusses the transformations of the individual's worldview in contemporary modern societies, and the role general societal value change plays in these. In doing so, Mika Lassander brings into conversation sociological theories of secularisation and social-psychological theories of interpersonal relations, the development of morality, and the nature of basic human values. The long-term decline of traditional religiosity in Europe and the emerging ethos that can be described as post-secular have brought religion and values back into popular discussion. One important theme in these discussions is about the links between religion and values, with the most common assumption being that religions are the source of individuals' values. This book argues for the opposite view, suggesting that religions, or people's worldviews in general, reflect the individual's priorities. Mika Lassander argues that the transformation of the individual's worldview is a direct consequence of the social and ecomical changes in European societies since the Second World War. He suggests that the decline of traditional religiosity is t an indication of linear secularisation or of forgetting traditions, but an indication of the loss of relevance of some aspects of the traditional institutional religions. Furthermore, he argues that this is t an indication of the loss of ethical value base, but, rather, a change in the value base and consequently the transformation of the legitimating framework of this value base.
- Author BiographyMika T. Lassander is Academy of Finland Research Fellow at the Abo Akademi University, Finland.
- Author(s)Mika T. Lassander
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication31/03/2016
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleBloomsbury Advances in Religious Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight356 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.94
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.