Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $24.52Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA German bestseller Post-War Lies is a superb portrait of a torn generation: the Nazi Party's youngest members, those born between 1919 and 1927, who were raised on an ideological diet of racism and militarism. A number of them - from prominent politician Hans-Dietrich Genscher to writer Martin Walser - were later to become leading public figures in federal Germany. In this meticulously researched book, Malte Herwig reveals how Germany handled these former party members. For nearly half a century, it was a case of 'don't ask, don't tell'. While the US government held captured Nazi records - such as the party's central membership file - the German government used every available means to delay the return of the Nazi archive for half a century until the last top politician with a Nazi file had retired. Herwig also found a list of high-ranking German politicians whose Nazi membership files had been secreted between the 1960s and early 1990s. Many of this generation kept quiet about their connection to the Nazi Party, or denied it, or pushed it to the backs of their minds and forgot all about it. Post-War Lies tells their hitherto unkwn story, from the Third Reich to the post-war de-Nazification process and into the present. It is also a young historian's contribution to an important contemporary debate about historical truth and human honesty.
- Author BiographyMalte Herwig is a reporter, broadcaster, and historian. He is known for his in-depth interviews and investigative features, and his articles have appeared widely in US, British, and German publications, including The New York Times, The Guardian, The Observer, and Vanity Fair. Herwig was the only journalist to interview former SS captain and convicted war criminal Erich Priebke. Jamie Lee Searle is a literary translator from German. Shaun Whiteside is a Northern Irish translator of French, Dutch, German, and Italian literature.
- Author(s)Malte Herwig
- PublisherScribe Publications
- Date of Publication06/11/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCarlton North
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintScribe Publications
- Weight365 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Translated byShaun Whiteside,Jamie Lee Searle
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.18Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.