All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the post-World War II period, the Western, like America's other great film genres, appeared to collapse as a result of revisionism and the emergence of new forms. Perhaps, however, as theorists like Gilles Deleuze suggest, it remains, simply maintaining its empty frame. Yet this frame is far from empty, as Post-Westerns shows us: rather than collapse, the Western instead found a new form through which to scrutinize and question the very assumptions on which the genre was based. Employing the ideas of critics such as Deleuze, Jacques Derrida, and Jacques Ranciere, Neil Campbell examines the haunted inheritance of the Western in contemporary U.S. culture. His book reveals how close examination of certain postwar films-including Bad Day at Black Rock, The Misfits, Lone Star, Easy Rider, Gas Food Lodging, Down in the Valley, and No Country for Old Men-reconfigures our tions of region and nation, the Western, and indeed the West itself. Campbell suggests that post-Westerns are in fact ghost-Westerns, haunted by the earlier form's devices and styles in ways that at once ackwledge and call into question the West, both as such and in its persistent ideological framing of the national identity and values.
- Author BiographyNeil Campbell is professor of American studies and senior research fellow at the University of Derby, England. He is the author of The Rhizomatic West: Representing the West in the Global, Media Age (Nebraska, 2008) and the editor of, most recently, Photocinema: The Creative Edges of Photography and Film.
- Author(s)Neil Campbell
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2013
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitlePostwestern Horizons
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Weight771 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.