Postsocialist Pathways: Transforming Politics and Property in East Central Europe by David Stark, Laszlo Bruszt (Paperback, 1998)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCan property regimes be successfully transformed while simultaneously extending citizenship rights to the property-less? This is the postsocialist challenge analyzed in this comparative study of the new democracies of a distinctly East European capitalism. Tracing the diverse pathways from the collapse of communism, a leading American ecomic sociologist and a pioneering Hungarian political scientist examine the invative character, born of necessity, of postsocialist institutions in which actors are recombining ecomic assets and redefining political resources. Under conditions of extraordinary uncertainty, networks of enterprises become the units of ecomic restructuring, blurring the boundaries of public and private and yielding distinctive patterns of interorganizational ownership. In contrast to calls to liberate the market or to liberate the state, this sustained comparative analysis demonstrates the benefits of deliberative institutions that are neither market friendly r hierarchical. By extending accountability, actors bound through associative ties make agreements that extend the authority to carry out reforms.
- Author(s)David Stark,Laszlo Bruszt
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/02/1998
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Comparative Politics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note6 b/w illus.
- Weight440 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Series Edited byPeter Lange,Robert H. Bates,Ellen Comisso,Peter Hall,Joel S. Migdal,Helen V. Milner
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $20.09Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.