All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the thirty years following the end of the Second World War Leicester underwent some of the most dramatic changes in its history. Along with the rest of Britain it saw the austerity of the late 1940s and '50s, the shortages and rationing, followed by the boom period of the '60s, when full employment brought an interlude of prosperity. During these postwar decades sweeping changes were made to the physical structure of Leicester: areas of bomb damage and slum housing were cleared from the old city centre, and an intensive building programme in both the public and private sectors resulted in people moving out to new housing estates on the edges of the city. Ben Beazley vividly describes the story of everyday life in Leicester during this period. Illustrated with more than 120 photographs, maps and plans, Postwar Leicester will capture the imagination of anyone who kws the city today, and will rekindle memories for those who lived through the years of redevelopment and change.
- Author BiographyBen Beazley was born and brought up in Leicester. He served in the Leicester City Police and Leicestershire Constabulary for twenty-eight years, and one of his previous books is a history of Leicester City Police (Breedon, 2001). Ben retired in 1993 and since then has pursued his interest in local history full time. His third book, Wartime Leicester, was published by SPL in May 2004.
- Author(s)Ben Beazley
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication14/12/2006
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSutton Publishing Ltd
- Content Note120 black and white illustrations
- Weight470 g
- Width172 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $52.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.