Poverty in Transition and Transition in Poverty: Recent Developments in Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Georgia, Russia and Mongolia by Berghahn Books, Incorporated (Hardback, 1999)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.95+ AU $29.00 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionPoverty is an issue facing countries around the globe, yet it is a multi-dimensional phemen caused by a variety of factors, differing from context with linear chain of cause and effect. The occurrence and persistence of poverty is influenced by an interrelated web of ecomic, social, psychological, cultural, and political factors. Focusing on countries-in-transition belonging to the former Soviet bloc where the existence of poverty was officially denied until the collapse of the Soviet Union, this volume examines the ways in which each country is dealing with its newly ackwledged and rapidly increasing poverty. The transition from socialism to democracy and market ecomies has proved more difficult and costly than anyone imagined. Scholars from the six countries examined here profile and evaluate current social policies and programs on poverty eradication and provide a comparative perspective that ensures that culturally specific solutions can be found in place of borrowed solutions from abroad - solutions which have thus far igred the cultural factor and have thus failed to deliver.
- Author BiographyYogesh Atal, a social anthropologist by training, joined UNESCO as Regional Adviser in 1974 where he embarked on a long and distinguished career that led, in 1997, to him being promoted to Principal Director. He published numerous books on issues related to social development and the eradication of poverty and was nominated Man of the Year by the American Biographical Institute, awarded the Maharan Mewar Foundation Award, and the Albert Einstein International Academy Foundation's Cross of Merit. The Korean National Commission for UNESCO honored him with a Plaque of Gratitude in 1994. He is currently Director-General of the Indian Institute of Education, Pune, India.
- PublisherBerghahn Books, Incorporated
- Date of Publication01/03/1999
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationHerndon
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBerghahn Books, Incorporated
- Weight456 g
- Height220 mm
- Edited byYogesh Atal
- Introduction byYogesh Atal
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.