All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionIn Power Interrupted, Sylvanna M. Falcon redirects the conversation about UN-based feminist activism toward UN forums on racism. Her analysis of UN antiracism spaces, in particular the 2001 World Conference against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xephobia, and Related Intolerance in Durban, South Africa, considers how a race and gender intersectionality approach broadened opportunities for feminist organizing at the global level. The Durban conference gave feminist activists a pivotal opportunity to expand the debate about the ongoing challenges of global racism, which had largely privileged mens experiences with racial injustice. When including the activist engagements and experiential kwledge of these antiracist feminist communities, the political significance of human rights becomes evident. Using a combination of interviews, participant observation, and extensive archival data, Sylvanna M. Falcon situates contemporary antiracist feminist organizing from the Americasspecifically the activism of feminists of color from the United States and Canada, and feminists from Mexico and Perualongside a critical historical reading of the UN and its agenda against racism.
- Author BiographySylvanna M. Falcon is an assistant professor of Latin American and Latino Studies at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Author(s)Sylvanna M. Falcon
- PublisherUniversity of Washington Press
- Date of Publication09/03/2016
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleDecolonizing Feminisms
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Washington Press
- Content Note1 illus.
- Weight363 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.