All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Kurdistan to Somaliland, Xinjiang to South Yemen, all secessionist movements hope to secure newly independent states of their own. Most will t prevail. The existing scholarly wisdom provides one explanation for success, based on authority and control within the nascent states. With the aid of an expansive new dataset and detailed case studies, this book provides an alternative account. It argues that the strongest members of the international community have a decisive influence over whether today's secessionists become countries tomorrow and that, most often, their support is conditioned on parochial political considerations.
- Author BiographyBridget Coggins is an International Affairs Fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations and Asan Institute for Policy Studies. Her research examines the intersections of domestic conflict, international security, and international order. Her work has appeared in journals including International Organization, the Journal of Peace Research, the Journal of Conflict Resolution, and Foreign Policy Magazine, as well as in several scholarly edited volumes. She is a graduate of the University of Minnesota, where she received her BA in international relations, and of Ohio State University, where she received a PhD in political science. Previously, Coggins taught in the government department at Dartmouth College.
- Author(s)Bridget Coggins
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication08/04/2016
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note8 b/w illus. 3 maps 10 tables
- Weight420 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.