All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOver the centuries, craftsmen have applied their creativity and technical skills to exploit the generous resources of Nature to marvelous effect. In this case they have employed seeds, leaves, flowers and fibers from the plant world, along with feathers, plain or iridescent shells, teeth, and fur from the animal kingdom to fashion objects of astonishing beauty, enhanced with the addition of elements in iron, copper, silver, and gold. Down through time such materials have always provided the basis for magnificent headdresses of all variety, including hats, caps, crowns, and headbands. In time, as the conditions of trade and pilgrimage routes improved, rare materials and manufactured products spread all over the globe, as well as new kwledge, techniques, and methods of fabrication. Each class of individual sported a distinct type of headdress: initiates and adults, hunters and warriors, religious dignitaries and healers, rulers and tables; unmarried girls, married women, and young mothers. In each case the author explains their opulence and symbolism to the reader.
- Author BiographyAnne van Cutsem-Vanderstraete, art historian, is the author of different books, articles and catalogues on the ethnic world, published by different publishing houses, as 5 Continents, Skira and Dapper.
- Author(s)Anne van Cutsem-Vanderstraete
- PublisherFive Continents Editions
- Date of Publication01/10/2010
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationMilan
- Country of PublicationItaly
- ImprintFive Continents Editions
- Content Note120 full-color illustrations
- Weight1578 g
- Width247 mm
- Height293 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.77Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.