All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPractical Aesthetics brings a pursuit, long seen as rarefied and indulgent, out of the ivory tower and down to Ground Zero. Theoretically ambitious, fiercely original, it is a radical new account of art's rootedness in the social world and of the value of aesthetics to contemporary society. Beginning with the cultural watershed of 9/11, internationally-rewned scholar Jill Bennett explores artistic developments in relation to current events to argue that understanding aesthetics is as vital to social and political theory as it is to the arts. Taking as its starting-point a definition of art as the critical, self-conscious manipulation of media, Bennett examines a wide range of events from the War on Terror to the football World Cup to elucidate how aesthetic perception works in a social field, a process that begins with the rich emotional content of the visual imagery with which we are constantly bombarded. Now more than ever, Bennett argues, understanding how what we see informs what we do is t merely an artistic endeavour but one which is fundamental to our very being. Part of the Radical Aesthetics, Radical Art series, this book challenges the tion that art and 'real life' are somehow opposed. Practical Aesthetics proposes a new way of reading contemporary artworks - and a new understanding of how fundamental art is to our social survival.
- Author BiographyJill Bennett is Professor and Director of the National Institute for Environmental Arts, and Associate Dean of the College of Fine Arts at the University of New South Wales. She is the author of Empathic Vision (2005), a study of art and traumatic events.
- Author(s)Jill Bennett
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/08/2012
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Series TitleRadical Aesthetics Radical Art
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note30 integrated bw illustrations, 24 colour in 16pp plates
- Weight386 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.87Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.