All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnticipate, manage, and overcome the complex issues facing community colleges Practical Leadership in Community Colleges offers a path forward through the challenges community colleges face every day. Through field observations, reports, news coverage, and interviews with leaders and policy makers, this book digs deep into the issues confronting college leaders and provides clear direction for managing through the storm. With close examination of both emerging trends and perennial problems, the discussion delves into issues brought about by changing demographics, federal and state mandates, public demand, ecomic cycles, student unrest, employee groups, trustees, college supporters, and more to provide practical guidance toward optimal outcomes for all stakeholders. Written by former presidents, including a past president of the American Association of Community Colleges, this book provides expert guidance on anticipating and managing the critical issues that affect the entire institution. Both authors serve as consultants, executive coaches, and advisors to top leaders, higher education institutions, and leadership development programs throughout the United States. Community colleges are facing increasingly complex issues from both without and within. Some can be avoided, others only mitigated but all must be managed, and college leaders must be fully prepared or risk failing the students and the community. This book provides real-world guidance for current and emerging leaders and trustees seeking more effective management methods, with practical insight and expert perspective. * Tackle the college completion challenge and performance-based funding initiatives * Manage through ecomic cycles, declining support, and calls for accountability * Delve into the issues of privatization and employee unionization * Execute strategies to align institutional goals and mission * Manage organizational change and new ways of thinking that are essential in today's competitive environment * Manage issues involving diversity, inclusiveness, and equity * Prepare adequately for campus emergencies Community colleges are the heartbeat of the nation's higher education system, and bear the tremendous responsibility of serving the needs of a vast and varied student body. Every day may bring new issues, but effective management allows institutions to rise to the challenge rather than falter under pressure. Practical Leadership in Community Colleges goes beyond theory to provide the practical guidance leadership needs to more effectively lead institutions to achieve results and serve the students and the community.
- Author BiographyGEORGE R. BOGGS is president and CEO emeritus of the American Association of Community Colleges and superintendent/president of Palomar College in San Marcos, California. An active author and speaker, Boggs is the recipient of many awards and honors including the Public Broadcasting System's Terry O'Banion Prize for Teaching and Learning for triggering the most significant educational movement of the past decade. CHRISTINE J. MPHAIL is the managing principal for the McPhail Group LLC, a higher education consulting firm, former president of Cypress College, emerita professor of higher education and founder of the Community College Leadership Doctoral Program at Morgan State University, and a coach for Achieving the Dream, a national nonprofit reform network dedicated to community college student success and completion. She is a recipient of the AACC National Leadership Award and the League for Innovation in the Community College Terry O'Banion Leadership Award. McPhail is the editor of one of AACC's best-selling publications, Establishing and Sustaining Learning Centered Community Colleges.
- Author(s)Christine Johnson McPhail,George R. Boggs
- PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Date of Publication26/08/2016
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Weight420 g
- Width161 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.