All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSocial pedagogical work is a field of practice that is indebted to and illuminated by aspects of kwledge from sociology and psychology, but many practitioners feel that social pedagogical theories are too abstract and distant from the challenges faced in practice. In Practical Social Pedagogy Jan Storo shows the reader for the first time how the theories and practices of social pedagogy interlock. The book combines social pedagogy theories, psychology, sociology and social work with a social constructionist perspective to help practitioners guide children and young people to cope better with the challenges they face as they grow up. The author emphasises that the actualities of practice are first disclosed in the meeting between the professional practitioner and the client. The book uses many practical examples to help make the application of social pedagogy more accessible, and is ideal for students on courses covering work with children and young people. This translation has been carried out by Kirsti Spaven and is published with the financial support of NORLA.
- Author BiographyJan Storo is an Associate Professor of Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences, Child Welfare Bachelor Program. He worked with young people and children in care from 1975 to 1999, mostly as a leader of residential units and was leader of The Norwegian Leaving Care Project (1999-2002) and the MST Treatment Unit of Oslo (2002-05). Storo is author of five books on the transition from care to adulthood and social pedagogy and a wide range of articles on topics connected to child welfare.
- Author(s)Jan Storo
- PublisherPolicy Press
- Date of Publication11/03/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolicy Press
- Content Noteblack & white line drawings, figures
- Weight295 g
- Width172 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.