Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.06
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection of essays explores the significance of practice in understanding American Protestant life. The authors are historians of American religion, practical theologians, and pastors and were the twelve principal researchers in a three-year collaborative project sponsored by the Lilly Endowment. Profiling practices that range from Puritan devotional writing to twentieth-century prayer, from missionary tactics to African American ritual performance, these essays provide a unique historical perspective on how Protestants have lived their faith within and outside of the church and how practice has formed their identities and beliefs. Each chapter focuses on a different practice within a particular social and cultural context. The essays explore transformations in American religious culture from Puritan to Evangelical and Enlightenment sensibilities in New England, issues of mission, nationalism, and American empire in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, devotional practices in the flux of modern intellectual predicaments, and the claims of late-twentieth-century liberal Protestant pluralism. Breaking new ground in ritual studies and cultural history, Practicing Protestants offers a distinctive history of American Protestant practice.
- Author BiographyLaurie F. Maffly-Kipp is an associate professor of religious studies and American studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Leigh E. Schmidt is a professor of religion at Princeton University. Mark Valeri is the E. T. Thompson Professor of Church History at the Union Theological Seminary and Presbyterian School of Christian Education.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication06/10/2006
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleLived Religions
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note23, 23 black & white halftones
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byLaurie F. Maffly-Kipp,Leigh Eric Schmidt,Mark Valeri
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.