All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs tropical as it is topical, this landmark anthology gives voice to three powerful women poets from the Dominican Republic. Together they present a wide array of linguistic and stylistic elements, and they address shared political and cultural issues that illuminate what it means to be a woman in the modern-day Dominican Republic. Translator Judith Kerman, who began the anthology as a Senior Fulbright Scholar, tes that contemporary women poets from the Dominican Republic are the most underserved group when it comes to English-language translations. This anthology remedies that omission with poetry that is smart, edgy, and groundbreaking.
- Author BiographyAida Cartagena Portalatin is one of the most significant 20th Century woman authors of the Dominican Republic. Poet, fiction writer, historian, art critic, university professor and mentor to younger writers, she published 8 poetry collections, two novels and a short-story collection, as well as important ethnographic papers on African and Native American elements in Dominican culture. She died in 1994. Now retired, Angela Hernandez Nunez studied Chemical Engineering and taught Chemistry at Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo. During the 1980's she was a leader in the national feminist movement. She has published 5 poetry collections, 5 short story collections and 2 novels (Cole Prize winner, 2002), as well as essays on civil rights and women's issues. Ylonka Nacidit-Perdomo studied Law and Political Science at Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo. Poet, essayist and literary critic, she has been a leading editor, publisher and promoter of literary works by Dominican women, and served as Director of Research at the Dominican National Library. She has published 7 poetry collections and numerous essays about Dominican literature. Judith Kerman's books include Galvanic Response (March Street Press, 2005); the bilingual collection, Plane Surfaces/Plano de Incidencia (Santo Domingo: CCLEH, 2002); and A Woman in Her Garden: Selected Poems of Dulce Maria Loynaz (White Pine Press, 2002). Kerman was a Fulbright Senior Scholar to the Dominican Republic in 2002. She publishes Mayapple Press and was founding editor of Earth's Daughters.
- Author(s)Aida Cartagena Portalatin,Angela Hernandez Nunez,Ylonka Nacidit-Perdomo
- PublisherBOA Editions, Limited
- Date of Publication01/12/2009
- Languageeng, spa
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleLannan Translations Selection Series
- Place of PublicationRochester
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBOA Editions, Limited
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight257 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Translated byJudith Kerma
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.