All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is Pranks in Print about? It's a collection of stories about stories, ads and even books that were supposedly true, but were really trickery in type. It reveals how some of the famous (or infamous) published pranks were meticulously planned, such as Sports Illustrated's 1985 story The Curious Case of Sidd Finch. This book tells the impetus for the skullduggery that went into the best selling 1969 vel, Naked Came the Stranger. Readers will learn why the November 3, 1948 issue of the Chicago Daily Tribune, with its legendary Dewey Defeats Truman headline was t an honest editorial mistake but rather a case of political bias-that backfired. Many of the stories in this book were published in recent times, but pranks stories are hardly a modern day event. Benjamin Franklin produced a series of prank articles, The Silence Dogood Letters, which appeared in the New England Courant in 1722. Numerous prank articles were published in the 19th century including a series of articles by the New York Sun that would become kwn as the Great Moon Hoax of 1835. The Miraculous Bullet appeared in a Kentucky medical journal shortly after the U. S. Civil War. It was a hoax that some still believed true well into the 1950s. Pranks in Print has thirty-six stories that tell the story of these and other torious fake Stories, phony ads and media mischief.
- Author BiographyRichard Bauman has been a freelance writer for more than 35 years, and his articles have appeared in over 300 national and international periodicals. He resides in West Covina, California with his wife of 50 years, Donna, also a writer. They have two grown children and four rambunctious grandsons. He has published three other books: Awe-Full Moments: Spirituality in the Commonplace; Holy Humor; It Made a Difference to that One. He has co-authored two other books with Robert W. Pelton, Bible Oddities and Women in the Bible. For fifteen years he authored the day-by-day calendar, Legal Lunacies, published by Andrews McMeel, Inc.
- Author(s)Richard J Bauman
- Date of Publication13/07/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHumour: Collections & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight254 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.