All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionForms of daily prayer have been used throughout Christian history, and every Christian tradition encourages its adherents to practise regular personal prayer, calling it variously the Daily Office, the Divine Hours, Forms of Prayer, the Quiet Time or, more simply 'daily devotions'. This book draws on that rich tradition, offering daily structured prayer based on the prayers of key figures and traditions in Christian history. Over 28 days, the reader is invited to engage with and pray with the words of Augustine of Hippo, Julian of Norwich, Martin Luther, John Wesley, Soren Kierkegaard, and the Franciscan and Benedictine offices, amongst many others. The language of the prayers has been updated to make them accessible to the modern reader, but the mood, sense and underlying theology of the originals have been retained. Including newly translated Psalms and suggested daily Bible readings, this book offers a significant resource for personal prayer. However, more than this, it also offers a sense of worshipping in the wisdom and insight of the great traditions, providing an opportunity to engage personally with the whole spectrum of Christian experience.
- Author BiographyDr Christopher Voke is former Deputy Principal and Senior Research Fellow at Spurgeon's College, UK.
- Author(s)Christopher J. Voke
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication23/05/2013
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Continuum
- Weight220 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $23.50Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $43.92Trending at AU $50.20
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.