All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMost libraries, archives and museums around the globe are w confronting the challenges of providing digital access to their collections. As digitization becomes more widespread, there is huge demand for detailed guidance on best practice. While much has been written on the theory, these practical aspects have often been neglected, but they are significant t only in safeguarding the collection during image capture but also in ensuring that projects run smoothly and the resulting digital collection is of high quality. This practical guide fills that gap, offering guidance covering the end-to-end process of digitizing collections, from selecting records for digitization to choosing suppliers and equipment and dealing with documents that present individual problems. As such, it can be used as a 'how-to' reference manual for collection managers who are embarking on a digitization project or who are managing an existing project. It also covers some of the wider issues such as the use of surrogates for preservation, and the long term sustainability of digital access. Key areas covered are: * digitization in the context of collection management * before you digitize: resources, suppliers and surrogates * the digital image * the process of selection * surveying collections * equipment for image capture * preparation of document formats and fastenings * preparation of damaged documents * setting up the imaging operation. Readership: A clearly-written guide to a complex process, this book is an essential resource for all collection and project managers who have responsibility for the preservation of archival collections, as well as all industry professionals whose role touches on the digitization of collections.
- Author BiographyDr Anna E. Bulow is Head of Preservation at The National Archives. She is editor of the Journal of Paper Conservation and has written and presented on a wide range of subjects including degradation mechanisms of paper, environmental monitoring and control, risk assessment and digitization. Jess Ahmon MA MSc is Preservation Officer at The National Archives. She has given a number of presentations on the challenges of digitization of original documents, most recently at the Digital Futures training programme run by King's College London.
- Author(s)Anna E. Bulow,Jess Ahmon
- PublisherFacet Publishing
- Date of Publication16/12/2010
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFacet Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.