Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis book presents an ongoing debate in cognitive linguistics about the modelling of prepositional polysemy, kwn as the story of over. Additionally, it discusses a Polish counterpart - the story of za(-) (a preposition and a verbal prefix). Its further aim is to reveal a deep divergence of perspectives between the cognitive and hermeneutical approaches to the meaning of words. The argument could be summarised as follows: the issue of the representation of lexical senses (available out of context) presupposes the issue of distinct meanings of words in communal use, which in turn presupposes the question of the transformative power of words (in linguistics, articulated by Humboldt as energeia). In short, the book proposes to complement a post hoc static cognitive approach with a dynamic expressive one.
- Author BiographyAndrzej Pawelec teaches cognitive linguistics and translation in the Institute of English Philology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow. His research, in general, is focused on the communal background of symbolic meaning. In linguistics, he aims to probe current theories from the vantage point provided by the expressive conception of language, as developed in philosophical hermeneutics (Merleau-Ponty and Charles Taylor being his main sources of inspiration). He has published two books so far. In Znaczenie ucielesnione (2005) [ Embodied meaning ], he opposes the cognitive position on the embodiment of meaning , as described by Lakoff and his associates, to the hermeneutical interpretation of this notion in terms of articulation. In Metafora pojeciowa a tradycja (2006) [ Conceptual metaphor and tradition ], he offers a critique of the cognitive theory of metaphor in terms of the interactive theory and the Romantic tradition .
- Author(s)Andrzej Pawelec
- PublisherUniwersytet Jagiellonski, Wydawnictwo
- Date of Publication01/06/2010
- Place of PublicationKrakow
- Country of PublicationPoland
- ImprintUniwersytet Jagiellonski, Wydawnictwo
- Weight666 g
- Width150 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.