All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPreservation and Protest proposes a vel taxomy of four paradigms of nhuman theological ethics by exploring the intersection of tensions between value terms and teleological terms. These tensions arise out of the theological loci of cosmology, anthropology, and eschatology. The individual paradigms of the taxomy are critically elucidated through the work of Thomas Aquinas, Thomas Berry, Dumitru St Niloae, and Jurgen Moltmann and Andrew Linzey. McLaughlin systematically develops the paradigm of cosmocentric transfiguration, arguing that the entire cosmos-including all instantiations of life therein-shares in the eschatological hope of a harmonious participation in God's triune life, a participation that entails the end of suffering, predation, and death. This paradigm yields an ethics based upon a tension between preservation and protest. With this paradigm, McLaughlin offers an alternative to anthropocentric and conservationist paradigms within the Christian tradition, an alternative that affirms both scientific claims about natural history and the theological hope for eschatological redemption.
- Author BiographyRyan Patrick McLaughlin is an associate fellow of the Oxford Centre for Animals Ethics and adjunct instructor in the department of theology at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He earned a Ph.D. in systematic theology at Duquesne University.
- Author(s)Ryan Patrick McLaughlin
- PublisherFortress Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/11/2014
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFortress Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables
- Weight326 g
- Width155 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.