All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTo date, translation theory offers satisfactory response to the multidimensional challenge of rerendering postmodern texts. As the existence of linguistic and cultural plurality in these writings is w widely ackwledged, many theorists recognise the impossibility of achieving complete equivalence in translation. If the fragmented, decentred, postmodern source text (ST) is to be rerendered in the target language (TL), a process of 'rewriting' is deemed necessary. Nevertheless, such an approach, if taken too far, may t always be the most appropriate. Focusing on the French journalist and velist Claude Sarraute, whose postmodern writings offer a suitable body of texts for study, this book seeks to determine effective means by which the translator can first read and analyse postmodern STs and subsequently preserve their intricacies in the TL. To provide an original response to this challenge grounded in both theoretical and practical evidence, the author refers to the work of the Bakhtin Circle; concepts from literary theory, stylistics and translation theory; and translations of a body of texts as variegated in character as those of Sarraute. Using the approach which she recommends, the author then explains how she rerenders in English a collection of Sarraute's polyphonic writings.
- Author BiographyClaire Ellender is Maitre de Conferences in Translation at the Universite de Lille III, France. She was awarded her PhD in Translation Studies in 2006 and has previously worked as an in-house translator in Paris and as a consultant course author for The Open University. She is the author of several articles in the field of audiovisual and literary translation.
- Author(s)Claire Ellender
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication27/09/2013
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleNew Trends in Translation Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number12
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Note9, 9 tables
- Weight360 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.