All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionU.S. Presidents have played a major role in shaping Florida, whether waging wars, protecting the environment, seeking votes, or just drawing media attention to the state s attractions.
- Thomas Jefferson set out to buy Florida, but ended up making the Louisiana Purchase instead.
- Andrew Jackson came to fight Indians when La Florida was still a Spanish colony and then became the first territorial goverr.
- Abraham Lincoln came up with the plan to get Florida back into the Union in 1864 to help his reelection chances.
- Ulysses S. Grant came to promote steamships on the St. Johns River.
- Warren G. Harding played golf with an elephant as a caddie, and Chester Arthur went fishing in Orlando.
- Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders sailed to glory from Tampa, but nearly missed the boat.
- Herbert Hoover came to Florida to spend time with his friends, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, and Harvey Firestone, and held the Florida record for catching the largest bonefish.
- Days before his inauguration, an assassination attempt was made on Franklin Roosevelt as he spoke in a Miami park.
- Roosevelt s yacht was anchored at Fort Lauderdale when a massive hurricane swept it inland. Roosevelt tried to sell it as a hunting lodge.
- Harry Truman launched a campaign to defeat a Florida Senator, and had a house in Key West called the Little White House.
- Nixon killed the Cross Florida Barge Canal, becoming a hero to environmentalists. After winning election, he purchased a home in Florida and was there during the Watergate burglary.
- George W. Bush launched his political career in Florida, working for a successful Senate candidate. And of course it was the contested Florida vote, with its hanging-chad ballots, that gave him reelection in 2000.
- Author BiographyJames C. Clark is the author of five books including 200 Quick Looks at Florida History, Red Pepper and Gorgeous George, and Faded Glory: Presidents Out of Power. He teaches history at the University of Central Florida and lives in Orlando, Florida.
- Author(s)James C Clark
- PublisherPineapple Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPineapple Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.