All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow do trees help reduce violence? What do roads have to do with chronic disease? Prevention Diaries examines the unexpected yet empirically predictable relationships that shape our health, providing the keys to realizing vitality and health across our society. With passion, wisdom, and humor, internationally recognized prevention expert Larry Cohen draws on his three decades of experience to make a case for building health into the everyday fabric of our lives-from health care to workplaces, urban planning to agriculture. Prevention Diaries envisions an alternate model of American health care, one less predicated on treating sickness and more focused on preventing it. Doing so requires a shift in how our society perceives and approaches health - first recognizing our overreliance on individual solutions, then building an environment conducive to preventing problems before they occur. Through first-person vignettes and scientific data, Cohen shows that prevention is the cure what ails us. By creating greater opportunities for health and safety - things like safe access to parks and healthful housing - the US sets a foundation for a healthier country. Prevention Diaries makes it clear that as the US works to ensure everyone can access medical services, we also must make health, t just health care, the ultimate goal.
- Author BiographyLarry Cohen is founder and Executive Director of the Prevention Institute. A leading authority in developing practical prevention strategies for communities, Cohen's accomplishments include catalyzing the nation's first multi-city no-smoking laws; helping define violence as a preventable health issue; advancing chronic disease prevention through physical activity and healthy eating; and promoting better understanding of the underlying causes of illness, injury, and health inequities. His work has been recognized by the US Department of Health and Human Services, American Cancer Society, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, American Public Health Association, and Society for Public Health Education. He lives in Oakland, California.
- Author(s)Larry Cohen
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication08/01/2017
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.45Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.