All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere is a world-wide epidemic on obesity. This epidemic is driving the immense proportions of Type 2 diabetes across the globe. While there are numerous therapies for treating Type 2 diabetes, the most effective therapy is prevention. Prevention of Type 2 diabetes can be achieved properly by simultaneous prevention of obesity. Prediabetes, or metabolic syndrome, is the period between simple obesity and diabetes, and this critical period needs to be identified in a more consistent and systematic manner by clinicians worldwide. Clinical trials have indicated that diabetes prevention can be achieved by lifestyle changes and also by certain medications, though ne are yet approved for use in prevention. On the other hand, there are funding agencies such as the NIH, CDC, and State Institutions that are interested in studying the prevention paradigms in different communities and ethnic mirities who are most prone to this epidemic. For these reasons, this title by rewned physician-scientist Derek LeRoith is both timely and vitally important for academic physicians, practitioners, allied health care providers, analysts, community activists, and all others interested in this increasing epidemic. This book provides a unique and comprehensive synthesis of the prevention and early diagsis of Type 2 Diabetes, focusing on identifying risk factors and then moving into topics that address how to prevent their progression to full-blown diabetes. The difficult task of changing patients' behavior is given special emphasis. The chapters in this practical volume are written by a wide range of international experts, reflecting the editor's distinguished, internationally rewned career. The volume is organized in eight sections: an introduction to the overall issue of prevention, definitions of values based on ADA guidelines, pathophysiology, discussion of a range of interventional trials regarding prevention, and an overview of state-of-the-art clinical management approaches. Comprehensive and timely, Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes: From Science to Therapy is an essential reference for those treating and researching Type 2 Diabetes.
- Author BiographyDerek LeRoith, MD, PhD, is the editor of 6 Springer titles: five on the biomedicine side and one from clinical medicine.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication16/07/2013
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note17 black & white illustrations, 32 colour illustrations, 11 black & white tables, biography
- Weight427 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byDerek LeRoith
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $23.50Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.65
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.