All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMichael A. Einhorn In continuing to deregulate telecommunications companies, regulators have begun to consider alternative approaches to traditional cost-based price regulation as a means of encouraging mopoly efficiency, promulgating techlogical inva- tion, protecting consumers, and reducing administrative costs. Under cost-based regulatory procedures that had been used, prices were designed to recover the regulated company's costs plus an allowed rate of return on its rate base; this strategy was costly to administer, provided consistent incentives to cost-ef- ficiency and techlogical improvement, afforded many opportunities for strategic misrepresentation of reported costs, and may have encouraged both unecomic expansion of the utility's rate base and cross-subsidization of its competitive services. A category of alternative regulatory approaches can be classified broadly as social contracts. Under the general strategy of social contract regulation, regulators first delimit a group of regulated core services that they continue to regulate and then stipulate a list of constraints that the utility must agree to meet in the future; in exchange, regulators agree to detariff or deregulate entirely other competitive or nessential services that the utility may offer. As long as stipulated constraints are violated, the utility may price freely any service; if it reduces costs, it may keep a share of its profits. According to the National Telecommunications Information Administration (NTIA, 1987), social contract agreements of one form or ather have been considered or implemented in a majority of American states.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication30/09/2012
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Series TitleTopics in Regulatory Economics and Policy
- Series Part/Volume Number6
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight403 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byMichael A. Einhorn
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1991
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.