All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUse of the term culture as an expression of the full range of learned human behavior patterns began with this classic two-volume work, first published in 1871. Edward B. Tylor, the first Professor of Anthropology at the University of Oxford, declared that culture is that complex whole which includes kwledge, belief, art, law, morals, custom, and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society. Tylor is credited with the establishment of anthropology as a scientific discipline, and his groundbreaking work was highly influential in the development of cultural evolution as the foundation for anthropologic studies.Tylor's unilinear model of development maintains that humans share a common history, evolving from a single primitive form. His studies of the languages, rituals, and beliefs of societies from around the world pioneered the use of statistical data and substantiated his view of a universal pattern of development in all cultures. VolumeI of Primitive Culture focuses on social evolution, language, and myth. VolumeII focuses on Tylor's interpretation of animism in society, offering details of the endlessly varied ideas and beliefs regarding the soul, spirits, and gods.
- Author BiographyEnglish academic Edward Burnett Tylor (1832 1917) was the first Professor of Anthropology at the University of Oxford.Tylor, whoconducted fieldwork in Mexico during the mid-1850s, maintained an evolutionary view of the development of culture and religion. He positedthat animism, or the belief in spirits, formed the original basis of religion.
- Author(s)Edward B Tylor
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication26/08/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleDover Thrift Editions
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Weight635 g
- Width315 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.