All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTraditional psychoanalysis relies on the presence of certain meaning-making capacities in the patient for its effectiveness. Primitive Mental States examines how particular capacities including those for symbolising, fantasising, dreaming, experiencing and finding meanings in those experiences, can be taken for granted. Many of us lack these capacities in certain dimensions of our minds making traditional psychoanalysis ineffective. In this book, international contributors are brought together to consider a radical evolution in contemporary psychoanalytic theory developed from a combination of ultrasound studies, infant analysis, and observation of mothers and babies. These findings demonstrate how much mental life exists even before birth and considers unevolved, unborn and barely born aspects of the self such as the birth of emotion and the birth of alpha functioning. Topics covered include: * prenatal imprints on the mind and body * difficult to treat patients * n-verbal, n-symbolic, disembodied states of being * early relational and attachment trauma. Illustrated throughout with original data and extensive clinical discussions from some of the biggest names in the field, Primitive Mental States will be a useful resource for students and seasoned analysts alike.
- Author BiographyJane Van Buren is a Psychoanalyst in full time private practice in Los Angeles, California and training and supervising analyst at the Psychoanalytic Centre of California. She has written widely on the themes of women and children, culture and psychoanalysis. Shelley Alhanati is a psychoanalyst in northern California, and is a Supervising Analyst and faculty member of the Psychoanalytic Institute of Northern California. She has lectured and written widely on various topics in psychoanalytic theory as well as on fetal, infant, and child developmental research.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication16/12/2009
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white line drawings
- Weight380 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byJane Van Buren,Shelley Alhanati
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.