All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the first applications of lasers was for surgery on the retina of the eye. That, and the evident analogy to the old dreams of powerful heat rays, led many to predict that lasers would quickly be used for all kinds of cutting and welding, including surgical applications. It was soon apparent that laser sur- gery could be performed in ways that caused little bleeding. Nevertheless, other surgical applications have been slower to arrive. One difficulty has been the ermous range of possibilities provided by the many different kinds of lasers. Infrared, visible, and ultraviolet light beams each interact very differently with human tissues. Light pulses of er- mously great peak powers became available from lasers, but their effects dif- fered in surprising ways from those obtained with continuous beams. That provided both opportunities (i.e., treating or removing a very thin surface layer without affecting the underlying tissue) and problems with undesired side effects. Moreover, techniques were needed to deliver a precisely con- trolled amount of energy just where it was desired. Lasers also had to be engineered and manufactured with the desired power levels and a high reliability.
- Author(s)Gaetano Bandieramonte,Joseph H. Bellina
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication03/10/2011
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, bibliography
- Weight596 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $89.67New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $30.78New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.78
- AU $28.33Trending at AU $30.23
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.