All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThose working on the description of disordered speech are bound to be also involved with clinical phology to some extent. This is because interpreting the speech signal is only the first step to an analysis. Describing the organization and function of a speech system is the next step. However, it is here that phologists differ in their descriptions, as there are many current approaches in modern linguistics to undertaking phological analyses of both rmal and disordered speech. Much of the work in theoretical phology of the last fifty years or so is of little use in either describing disordered speech or explaining it. This is because the dominant theoretical approach in linguists as a whole attempts elegant descriptions of linguistic data, t a psycholinguistic model of what speakers do when they speak. The latter is what is needed in clinical phology. In this text, Martin J. Ball addresses these issues in an investigation of what principles should underlie a clinical phology. This is t, however, simply ather manual on how to do phological analyses of disordered speech data, though examples of the application of various models of phology to such data are provided. Nor is this a guide on how to do therapy, though a chapter on applications is included. Rather, this is an exploration of what theoretical underpinnings are best suited to describing, classifying, and treating the wide range of developmental and acquired speech disorders encountered in the speech-language pathology clinic.
- Author BiographyMartin J. Ball is Professor of Speech Language Pathology, specializing in clinical linguistics and phonetics, at Linkoping University in Sweden. He has previously held positions in Wales, Ireland, and the US.
- Author(s)Martin J. Ball
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication02/11/2015
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationHove
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPsychology Press Ltd
- Content Note30 black & white tables
- Weight606 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.