All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTo respond to the increasing need to feed the world's population as well as an ever greater demand for a balanced and healthy diet there is a continuing need to produce improved new cultivars or varieties of plants, particularly crop plants. The strategies used to produce these are increasingly based on our kwledge of relevant science, particularly genetics, but involves a multidisciplinary understanding that optimizes the approaches taken. Principles of Plant Genetics and Breeding, 2nd Edition introduces both classical and molecular tools for plant breeding. Topics such as biotechlogy in plant breeding, intellectual property, risks, emerging concepts (decentralized breeding, organic breeding), and more are addressed in the new, updated edition of this text. Industry highlight boxes are included throughout the text to contextualize the information given through the professional experiences of plant breeders. The final chapters provide a useful reference on breeding the largest and most common crops. * Up-to-date edition of this bestselling book incorporating the most recent techlogies in the field * Combines both theory and practice in modern plant breeding * Updated industry highlights help to illustrate the concepts outlined in the text * Self assessment questions at the end of each chapter aid student learning * Accompanying website with artwork from the book available to instructors
- Author BiographyGeorge Acquaah is Dean at Bowie State University. He is the author of four critically acclaimed textbooks, and has received numerous awards, including the prestigious USDA Award for Excellence in College and University Teaching in Food and Agricultural Sciences, and the Millennium Award for Excellence in Teaching, presented by the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities in the US.
- Author(s)George Acquaah
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication14/09/2012
- SubjectLife Sciences: Botany
- Place of PublicationHoboken
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1632 g
- Width199 mm
- Height258 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Most relevant reviews
- scarlettwren02 Jan, 2013by
Good book. Easy to read. Good explanations to concepts. The industry highlights are good too. I got the book to increase my knowledge on the subject.
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.