All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOver the past twenty years, Private Military and Security Companies (PMSCs) have become significant elements of national security arrangements, assuming many of the functions that have traditionally been undertaken by state armies. Given the centrality of control over the use of coercive force to the functioning and identity of the modern state, and to international order, these developments clearly are of great practical and conceptual interest. This edited volume provides an interdisciplinary overview of PMSCs: what they are, why they have emerged in their current form, how they operate, their current and likely future military, political, social and ecomic impact, and the moral and legal constraints that do and should apply to their operation. The book focuses firstly upon rmative issues raised by the development of PMSCs, and then upon state regulation and policy towards PMSCs, examining finally the impact of PMSCs on civil-military relations. It takes an invative approach, bringing theory and empirical research into mutually illuminating contact. Includes contributions from experts in IR, political theory, international and corporate law, and ecomics, and also breaks important new ground by including philosophical discussions of PMSCs.
- Author BiographyAndrew Alexandra is Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics at the University of Melbourne Deane-Peter Baker is Senior Lecturer in Philosophy and Ethics at the University of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa, and is also Director of the University of KwaZulu-Natal Strategic Studies Group. Marina Caparini is Senior Fellow in DCAF's Research Division, where she works on issues of accountability and oversight of the security sector.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/11/2009
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white tables
- Weight430 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byAndrew Alexandra,Deane-Peter Baker,Ms Marina Caparini
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $30.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.