All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis work brings a fresh perspective to the study of modern prizefighting, a sport which has evolved over several centuries to become one of mankind's most lasting and valued sporting attractions. With his primary focus outside the ropes, the author shows how organizers, publicity agents, and political allies overcame both legal and moral roadblocks to make fisticuffing a lively commercial enterprise.The author traces the history of prizefighting from clandestine bare-knuckle fights in eighteenth-century London to the vibrant, large-scale productions of modern Las Vegas 'fight nights.' Along the way, he punctures many of the myths about antiquarian prizefighters, describes the origins of slave fight folklore, and examines the forces that transformed Las Vegas into the world's leading venue for important fights.
- Author BiographySociologist Arne K. Lang has taught at the University of Nevada - Las Vegas, the University of Nebraska, and Tuskegee University. He lives and writes in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Author(s)Arne K. Lang
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/09/2008
- SubjectBoxing & Combat Sports
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Notephotos, notes, bibliography, index
- Weight649 g
- Width172 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.